Fellow Foodie: Liya Varghese
(Menu Tasting Invite)
Who hasn’t heard of Aappa Kadai? I have loved pure malayali food from here since a couple of years now and they hardly ever fail to satiate my ever growing hunger for some delicious and lip smacking south indian cuisine. This location is so easy to get to – located in the heart of Karama, right opposite the Karama park.
Ambiance: It is a cute little space with very basic seating arrangements and decor. They have a live aappam making area as well and we were very intrigued.
Service: The service is quick and efficient. However. I felt quite uncomfortable when I found many of the servers staring at us while we were busy eating. That’s the only slight inconvenience that my plus one and I had to go through.
Price: Love the pricing as it is very pocket friendly for some delicious and wholesome food.
What we ate;
- Chicken Lollypop Dry [18AED]: These were hot and quite yummy. the portion size was shareable by two. The batter was not too thick and the chicken was soft and juicy. However, I do wish they gave some dip on the side; at least some chilli sauce because the lollypops got a little too dry.
- Prawns 65 [30AED]: This was a major disappointment that night. The prawns were extremely hard and chewy. This again was served without any dip. Easily passable.
- Mutton Chettinad [25AED]: I don’t eat mutton but boy oh boy what a delicious curry to pair with some soft freshly made aappams. I cannot stress enough on how mouth watering the dish was. My friend was quite pleased with her mutton pieces as well. You can also taste this in the chicken variant – heard lots about it.
- Midnight Biryani [Chicken]: So Aappa Kadai have these two (chicken and mutton) biryanis that they serve from 6:30 pm all the way until midnight. I was in absolute awe – the chicken biryani was phenomenal. The flavours were so authentic and absolutely delectable. The caramelized onions one the top were the cherry on the cake and bought the whole dish together so well. I loved my biryani with a bit of the chettinad curry. Do try it with some papadums.
- Gulab Jamun with Ice cream [14AED]: They served 3 soft and delicious gulab jamuns with some ice cream on top – great. My issue with this was that the ice cream had melted and mixed with the syrup and it was giving me serious sugar rush. The gulab jamuns in itself was super yummy and a perfect way to end the delicious meal.
- Gajar ka halwa with ice cream [16AED]: The Gajar Halwa was mad delicious. Its been a while since I had such a delicious and creamy carrot halwa. And when paired with ice cream, the taste was magnified.
- Sweet Lime Soda [9AED]: The lime was refreshing and tasted really amazing.
Final Verdict: Looking for some delicious biyanis, aappams and curries? PLEASE do head to Aappa Kadai, trust me, you won’t be disappointed.
loved; Midnight Chicken Biryani
not so much; Prawns 65 dry
Reach them; Opposite Lulu Centre, Near Karama Park, Al Karama, Dubai
Call them; 04 4489508
Ambience: ♦ ♦ ♦
Service: ♦ ♦ ♦
Pricing: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Eating Experience: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Over All: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦